Noted for her “rich and mellifluous” voice (Opera News) and "striking" presence (The Arts Fuse), mezzo-soprano Christina English brings musical sensitivity and dramatic commitment to a versatile array of concert, opera, and musical theater stages. Recent solo appearances include Handel’s Messiah with Arcadia Players, where she returns in the 2023-24 season, and the premieres of 4 new works on a single text—Yeats’ The Second Coming—for string quartet and voice with Sheffield Chamber Players and WordSong. She is a long-time member of the Boston Baroque chorus and a founding core member of Lorelei Ensemble. Highlights with Lorelei include Julia Wolfe’s Her Story with the Boston, Chicago, Nashville, and San Francisco Symphonies; the premiere of choreographer Nanine Linning’s La Mer with Boston Ballet; collaborations with GRAMMY-nominated ensembles Cantus and A Far Cry; and appearances at The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, Carnegie Hall, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and Tanglewood Festival of Contemporary Music. Favorite opera and musical theater roles include the Pilot in Rachel Portman’s The Little Prince with NEMPAC; the Housekeeper in Man of La Mancha with New Repertory Theater; Miss Prism in The Importance of Being Earnest with Odyssey Opera; and the nursing sister in Puccini’s Suor Angelica with the Boston Symphony Orchestra.
As both a performer and an arts administrator, Christina believes that music is a powerful catalyst for community and connection. Offstage, she is Executive Director of Sheffield Chamber Players, an ensemble founded on the belief that experiencing chamber music in the intimate settings for which it was written profoundly changes the way listeners respond to music, and to each other. She is also a member of Beyond Artists, a coalition of artists who donate a percentage of their concert fees to organizations they care about. She supports the Planned Parenthood League of Massachusetts and the Environmental Defense Fund through her performances.
- Sun, Dec 10UU Wellesley HillsDec 10, 2023, 1:30 PM – 3:30 PMUU Wellesley Hills, 309 Washington St, Wellesley, MA 02481, USA
- Multiple DatesSat, Dec 16Abbey Chapel, Mount Holyoke CollegeDec 16, 2023, 7:30 PM – 9:30 PMAbbey Chapel, Mount Holyoke College, 50 College St, South Hadley, MA 01075, USA
- Multiple DatesFri, Feb 16First Church Congregational, CambridgeFeb 16, 2024, 7:30 PM – 9:30 PMFirst Church Congregational, Cambridge, 11 Garden St, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
- Sat, Apr 13Bombyx Center, Florence, MAApr 13, 2024, 4:00 PM – 6:00 PMBombyx Center, Florence, MA, 130 Pine St, Northampton, MA 01062, USA
- Fri, May 10Sanders Theater, Cambridge, MAMay 10, 2024, 7:30 PM – 10:00 PMSanders Theater, Cambridge, MA, 45 Quincy St, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA